Slavery: Libya Absolves Govt of blame

By FRANCIS OGBONNA

The Libyan government, in reaction to recent outcry trailing the alleged slave market in Libya, has officially said his country should not be blamed.

The Charge d’Affaires/Ambassador-Designate of Libya to Nigeria, Dr Attia Alkhoder, who described the criticisms simply as “a fierce media campaign against his government”, accused enemies of the North African country as sponsoring the campaign of calumny.

Speaking to the media, the envoy said “the claim followed media assumption carried out by the Cable News Network (CNN) channel of America and political comments follow it.” Recall that there were media reports last week about Nigerians being sold off in Libya at a paltry sum of $400.

The development generated public outcry, with the Charly Boy-led group, OurMumuDonDo, occupying the Libyan Embassy located within the Asokoro district of Abuja on Thursday.

But Alkhoder said “It seems barraging in relation to smuggling them to their destination (Europe) as immigrants not as slaves. The barraging is about the cost of transporting them to Europe, not capture their freedom in order to savage them.”


TAG